Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A couple of preschoolers

So, when I went to pick William up from school today, I offered to walk Shelby out, too, if Dawn would sit with Colin so I didn't have to pull him out of the warm van in this COLD weather. When I told William's teachers that I needed Shelby, too, he yelled out excitedly, "Mommy, is Shelby coming to play?" Since Shelby also looked pretty excited at the prospect, we asked Aunt Dawn if that would be okay and she happily agreed. So, William and Daniel had a playmate for a few hours today. The three of them played together very nicely while I was making their lunch. While they were eating it, however, things got a bit crazy. One minute, they're all eating quietly & the next my two boys are trying to outdo each other in an attempt to impress Shelby. All I could do was imagine their teen years & giggle. I heard repeated shouts of "Shelby, watch THIS!" punctuated by the other one yelling, "No, Shelby, watch THIS!" Shelby finally looked at the two of them a bit exasperatedly & said, "You REALLY like me, don't you?"

After lunch, Daniel had to take a nap, so the two big kids & I went down to the basement to play a game of "Remembery". Shelby managed to win the first game, which didn't make the William-man very happy. I pointed out that I also hadn't won and I wasn't upset. I then said that if HE had won, Shelby wouldn't have been having a fit. I asked Shelby what she'd have said if William had won, expecting something along the lines of "good job." She paused for a bit, then said, "Bad things." I guess no preschoolers really like to lose! Once I pointed out that a big high five and a "congratulations" were more appropriate, things calmed down & then the two of them did a great job of being happy for everyone who managed to make a match, as well as for the ultimate winner.

The day ended with a snack and a movie. Here are a couple of snaps of the two of them cuddled up in our big arm chair:

From Big kid pics


From Big kid pics

1 comment:

Ryan, Dawn, Calvin & Alayna said...

OMG Shelby is so beautiful! They are too cute together, are they betrothed yet? ;)