Monday, February 2, 2009

Little Smarty Pants

So, lately William has been into pretending to read & how things are spelled. When we do bedtime books, he has to "read" the book to me & Daniel before I get to read it. A little time-consuming, but pretty darn cute. He's been pretty good at telling me what words start with for a while now, but the letter that comes next has eluded him, mainly due to his penchant for not listening to whatever it is I'm trying to explain to him (home-schooling would never work for us!). So, when I ask him what "Palen" starts with, he says "P!", but when I stress the "A" sound & ask what comes after the P, he doesn't usually come up with it. Some of it must have been sticking, however, (he always listens to WAY more than I think he does!) because today, he was having pizza for lunch & when I told him that, he said, "Mommy, Pizza is spelled p-e-s-e." Now, I know that's not quite right, but phonetically, it's not too bad a job. E makes both a long "e" sound and the "eh" sound of short e sounds kind of like the end of pizza.

Now, if I could just get him to pick his toys up on a regular basis........

No comments: